vivian01

No Glitter Blown

Honest reviews of things that caught my fancy, or not.

Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas
Paul Wood, Charles Harrison
Male Colors: The Construction of Homosexuality in Tokugawa Japan
Gary P. Leupp
Daughter Am I
Pat Bertram
Lionheart
Sharon Kay Penman
Silver Bullet (Falls Chance Ranch #4)
Ranger, Rolf

Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)

Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4) - Josh Lanyon Sweet Mercy! That's a kicker of an ending. I guess one could say I feel ecstatic, but whether it is happiness or frothing at the mouth variety is yet to be determined. I'll say this--bloody brilliant. I have to read the next one. Being naughty and flagrantly ignoring all rules of series reading I dove into book #4 'cause I liked the sexy title. What? I can't help if I'm a victim of marketing. Of course, I'm sold on reading the entirety of the Adrien English series now. Yay for promotions that work! I snagged this when it was offered free at some point.Back to Adrien our debilitatingly curious hero and the circus of characters that help weave the mystery along with a devastatingly intriguing police detective and one perfectly sweet professor. To say that the relationships in this book are tangled is an understatement--they're incestuous. One murder sets this tilt-a-wheel spinning and rocking and a whole slew of secrets spill as the house of cards collapses. Overall an enjoyable mix of murder, megalomania, and meddlesome relatives; oh...and some heartrending romance.Favorite passage, this is when I knew Adrien and I are kindred spirits:"[D]ead?” I thought it was pretty clear he was a goner from the moment he landed flat on his back like a harpooned walrus, but maybe she was the optimistic kind. Or maybe I’d just had too much of the wrong kind of experience.