vivian01

No Glitter Blown

Honest reviews of things that caught my fancy, or not.

Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas
Paul Wood, Charles Harrison
Male Colors: The Construction of Homosexuality in Tokugawa Japan
Gary P. Leupp
Daughter Am I
Pat Bertram
Lionheart
Sharon Kay Penman
Silver Bullet (Falls Chance Ranch #4)
Ranger, Rolf
The Girl For Me - Failte A thoughtful and measured exploration of a misunderstood sexuality in this coming of age story.Dani/Daniel and Kevin make an unlikely couple, but isn't that where some of the best surprises of synergy come from? On opposite sides, they quickly find that they are not as far apart as they think. In fact, where the truly important things count--they're perfectly aligned. Neither is completely at ease with their respective discoveries, but Dani's struggle to understand and find peace with the constellation of feelings, fears and desires s/he experiences as a transgendered male is the focus. It is well done, not exploitive, and leaves one feeling optimistic.Favorite quotes:"'OUT', Mom... Coming 'OUT' to you. If I were coming 'on' to you, I would be going to therapy. My god..." Against all odds, a smile played on Danny's lips.--Ch. 4"If you want tits – get tits. If you want a vagina – get one. If you want a snowmobile – get a snowmobile. It's not important! Jesus H. Christ on a bicycle!"--Ch. 12"Good sons don't wear bras, Kevin.""So you're a good daughter then... who sometimes goes bra-less. Topless, even.""Not funny," Danny said, smirking.--Ch. 16