vivian01

No Glitter Blown

Honest reviews of things that caught my fancy, or not.

Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas
Paul Wood, Charles Harrison
Male Colors: The Construction of Homosexuality in Tokugawa Japan
Gary P. Leupp
Daughter Am I
Pat Bertram
Lionheart
Sharon Kay Penman
Silver Bullet (Falls Chance Ranch #4)
Ranger, Rolf

The Dead Will Rise First

The Dead Will Rise First - Logan Kain I admire the intent and sentiment expressed in this story that love is good and do you really want to devote your life to something that spews hate. This I applaud and I'll point to Marcus Aurelius as my personal guidance and moral compass:“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” ― Marcus Aurelius, MeditationsThat said there were some issues with execution or rather the logic involved that really confused me. I'm going to ignore the entire Rapture argument because frankly I lack sufficient knowledge to make a cogent one, but I for the life of me cannot comprehend how the lack of morals leads to cannibalism. That and if one accepts the Rapture argument why is it that China was hit at a substantially smaller percentage than the US or western Europe (yes, I'm accepting that Americans are sinners, but Chinese aren't a Christian majority)?Needless to say, I had problems with the fundamental principles which lessened my enjoyment because I found them to be contradictory in the world building. Did I like it? It was fine. I'm not a huge zombie fan and don't get off on gore as such. So I'm probably not the target audience. That said, I'm with TJ in the end game.Favorite quotes:"Ask enough, and you will begin to look at the world with new eyes.""There was no fear of death, just acceptance. Here I come God, you have some explaining to do."